17 January 2008

Dia dhuit

And you respond 'Dia is muire dhuit.' I almost think I remember how to pronounce it (although pronunciation is crazy; my teacher's name is Siobhan, but pronounced Shuh-vawn). I can also ask you your name (Cad is ainm duit?) and what's the news (Aon scéal?) That's about all I've retained from day one of my Irish language class (note that it's Irish, not Gaelic; we were set straight under no uncertain terms).
I've now met once for all of my classes, and honestly, I'm thrilled with all of them.

Picture day #2...

Grafton Street:


I think that's St. Anne's through a side street off Grafton:


The famous Temple Bar (I stumbled across it inadvertently; I thought I was in a really sketchy part of town):


Christchurch Cathedral:


This is why it's so easy to get lost--these are all you get in terms of street signs:


What's on the first level of this fabulous building? Slightly grungy restaurants. 21st century Dublin is a study in contrast (as are all old cities, I suppose):


An awkward picture of St. Stephen's Green:


I think I'm possibly at the point at which I can walk around Grafton Street and city centre without gawking. This is an improvement. However, if you'll forgive a slightly cheesy and romantic reference to The Light in the Piazza, 'It's a new old world to me.'

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Beautiful pictures! I hope you know that I'm going to embarrass you by walking around looking enchanted with everything. I promise I won't wear clothes with shamrocks plastered all over them. Actually, on second thought...
I didn't know it was better to call it Irish and not Gaelic. You'd better speak some Irish when we Skype this weekend. Sure and maybe a wee bit o' Oirish. (I am going to embarrass you so much!! Ahahahahahaha!)
Thank you for being such a faithful blogger; I love reading your posts.
Love you, sis!