21 January 2008

Climbing over rocky mountain

I have a new favorite place in Ireland. Yesterday I took another day trip, this time south on the DART (I should maybe explain that DART stands for Dublin Area Rapid Transit)to Bray, again on the Irish Sea. We were there on a Sunday afternoon, so it was full of families just playing by the beach.
I was finally able to touch the sea! This picture is wonderfully awkward:


Irish palm trees:


A view of the beach and Bray Head, which is much higher than it looks:


And I know that because we climbed it. Not only up it; oh no. We missed the trail that went straight up it and ended up hiking probably 75% of the way around it (we nearly reached the next town over) before taking a crazy-steep little trail up to the top. It was so worth it, though.
From the ascent:





Just a little mud:


Johanna and Maura on the way up:


And at the summit:


Views from the top:


Those white dots in the field? Sheep, of course:


Bray in the background:


Our reward for our ambition. I was almost obscenely excited for this.


These past two days have been wonderful. It's great to know there are places like this so near; Dublin is lovely, but city living makes me feel a little claustrophobic at times. I will definitely be returning.
And today? Homework. I've finally remembered that I'm still in school. It's easy enough to forget when you only have class 3 days a week.
Slán go fóill!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Fun pictures! It's nice that there's a place like that close to the city. If it's already so lush & green there, imagine what it will be like in the spring!
I'd like to Skype again this weekend, if you have time.
Love you!

Suzanne said...

Ireland looks amazing! ...So does that ice cream. I would be pretty excited too after all that hiking.

We sort of have the same blog address. Mine is suzanneinvienna.blogspot.com, and you're kaylaindublin. Very cool. We'll have to be blog buddies. I'm not leaving until the 2nd though, so mine isn't very interesting yet. :)