12 April 2008

Sweet home Minnesota, lord I'm coming home to you

In one week and one day I will be in the airplane flying home. I feel almost as disoriented as I felt when I first got here. Everything that I've spent the last 3.5 months seeing and doing suddenly seems novel again, just because I know how little time I have left.
Will you forgive me if I tell you that I'm already looking for ways to come back? (Grad school in Galway?)
Classes are now officially over. For my last Northern Ireland class we had former IRA member and hunger striker Tommy McKearney as a guest speaker. If you're interested, check out his Wiki page; he has quite a story. It was fascinating hearing from someone so intimately connected to the Troubles, but I was sitting in the front row and he kept creeping forward during the course of his presentation, so by the end he was probably a good half foot from me (which is closer than I generally like to be to even the friendliest of former terrorists).
Finals are going quite well for the most part, although I'm scared to begin my Northern Ireland paper. I'm saving it for last partly out of terror and partly out of hope that having something so daunting hanging over my shoulders will keep me grounded for this last week.

For the record:

Sunday, April 20, 2008
Aer Lingus # 125
Dublin (DUB) to Chicago O'Hare International (ORD)
Departure (DUB): April 20, 2:30 PM IST (afternoon)
Arrival (ORD): April 20, 4:30 PM CDT (afternoon)

Sunday, April 20, 2008
American Airlines # 2360
Chicago O'Hare International (ORD) to Minneapolis St Paul Intl (MSP)
Departure (ORD): April 20, 7:30 PM CDT (evening) Arrival (MSP): April 20,
9:00 PM CDT (evening)

Although let me just say that if there's snow on the ground in Minnesota when I get there, I'm turning right around and coming back here.

3 comments:

Mental Mother said...

Kayla-
Just wanted to let you know how much we have enjoyed reading your blog and viewing your pictures. We are all looking forward to meeting you when you are back in Minnesota! Take care, good luck on your last paper, and enjoy your last week!
Melissa K. - Cromwell-Wright After School Program

Unknown said...

Amazingly enough, the weather was actually beautiful in MN yesterday! I was back looking at the U of M for this fall. Sun, warm temps...it may just be spring by the weekend.

How quickly those 3.5 months went!Travel safe and I look forward to hearing many more stories.

-Maren

Anonymous said...

I love you!

I cannot wait to see you..though I do have to gloat about our weather today. I have Dublin and Minneapolis up on my homepage, and it's always nice [though rare] to see that we're warmer than you are.

Though you're OBVIOUSLY having far more fun...

I hope I get to give you a big Irish form of PDA when I next see you!