06 April 2008

As I was going over the far-famed Kerry mountains

This weekend I went on my second (and last) solo trip of the semester, this time to Killarney, County Kerry, a pretty touristy but also incredibly friendly town. I think Kerry folk might even out-nice Minnesotans. Everyone makes eye contact; everyone smiles; everyone greets everyone else. Several old people on the street asked me "How are you today, my darlin'?" And being alone only made it better. The great thing about solo traveling is that you get to test and assert your independence, but you also, at least in this country, find an incredible number of people who are not only open to conversation (I had some great ones with local farmers; I've never heard the word 'tis spoken so much in my life), but who are also genuinely concerned for your welfare. The cynic in me has taken a terrible beating this semester. It's marvelously humbling.
I took the train in Friday and hiked a bit in the evening around the Killarney National Park. Appearances to the contrary, it was a beautiful day--very warm, not too windy, (occasionally) sunny.





Ross Castle:

Around town:



Sometimes I felt a little bit like I was in California:

My hostel. This place was fabulous. Friday night I had a room to myself, and Saturday night I shared it with two of the friendliest, sweetest, loveliest French people I've ever met (even the French are friendly in Killarney!)

Saturday I hopped a bus to do the famous Ring of Kerry tour, which took us around the Iveragh peninsula, by the coast and through the mountains. I think I'll just let the pictures do the talking.











From the lovely town of Sneem:



Shepherd in Moll's Gap:


Ladies View, named after Queen Victoria's ladies-in-waiting, who apparently found it to be scenery "fit for any lady to view":



Sunday morning I rented a bike and explored the nearby hills and more of the National Park. I have not attempted and will not attempt driving over here, but biking on city streets--and through a busy roundabout--was confusing enough.


Muckross House:



Amazing from beginning to end.
Oh, before I forget, last week my Irish language and culture professors took our class out for drinks at an Irish-speaking bar. I can now order a pint in Irish. I feel as though that should have been the first thing we learned.
This is my last week of classes. I can't afford to get too sad yet, as I still have six final papers to write. I'm hoping that stress and frustration will take the edge off my sentimentality. We'll see.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Gorgeous pictures! And a belated thank you for the birthday post; I wish I could have been there with you, although I did have a good birthday anyway. Do you have any time to Skype this weekend? It sounds like you are really making the most of the time you have left over there. You sound so happy; it's contagious.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Amen to Lisa's comment regarding your pictures! They are divinely beautiful. I want to travel to Ireland so badly now. I miss you so much. All of your blogs sound so happy though like Lisa mentioned too! I'll stop copying Lisa now and say that spring fling is coming up and I thought of our experience last year and the good times we had! When you get home I want to take you out for a welcome home lunch/coffee/whatever you want :-) I love you and miss you and can't wait to see your smiling face. I am so proud of you and happy that your adventures have left an everlasting imprint in you! See you soon love! Emily