20 February 2008

Well

So maybe the play could have been (just a little) better. Let's just say Cecily was the twitchiest, most rodent-like and bizarre little creature imaginable. I didn't know human beings were physically capable of making some of the facial expressions that she used; it was... indescribable, really. Lady Bracknell was fabulous, however; there's just something about imposing old British women that goes straight to my heart.
The Irish Film Board shorts were very interesting. Many people involved in the films were at the screening, naturally--directors and actors and the like. We almost approached a boy who starred in one of the films, but decided to not become groupies to a fifteen-year-old. As for the films themselves, most were very clever, some were extremely strange, and several were in the Irish language (I even recognized a phrase in there: thank you (go raibh maith agat); not much, I know, but I was happy).
Speaking of Irish, I had my oral midterm for my Irish class today. It wasn't terrible; my teacher Siobhan is lovely, and I'm kind of surprised at how much we've actually learned in just a few weeks. There were a few awkward moments, though:

Siobhan: (in Irish, of course) Where are you from?
Me: I'm from Minnesota.
Siobhan: Are there good facilities there?
Me: (in English) Wait, what?
Siobhan: Are there good facilities there?
Me: Um... (in Irish) Yes! There is... a cafe, and... a park?
Siobhan: Is there a (jumble of guttural consonants)?
Me: (mouth gaping) Yes?
Siobhan: Is there a (indecipherable slur of obscure vowels)?
Me: (eyes glazing over) Yes?
Siobhan: (looking doubtful) There is?
Me: Oh, um, no?
Siobhan: Where are you living?
Me: I... live... in... Dundrum.
Siobhan: Are there good facilities there?
Me: Wait, what?
Siobhan: Are there good facilities there?
Me: There is... a cafe, and... a park?

Okay, so I'll never be fluent, but I am learning. The best expression I've learned thus far is the curse go gcuire sé sconna ort! Look it up if you really want to know what it means.
This weekend I'm hopefully taking a trip up to Donegal, and next week is the IES midterm trip up to Northern Ireland. What with traveling and the unnerving amount of schoolwork piling up, I'll probably be out of commission blog- and email-wise for the next couple of weeks.
Since I've given you an Irish curse, I'll leave you with an Irish blessing: Do chleamhnas féin agat (may you choose your own spouse).

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Kayla--How unfortunate the play didn't work out perfectly! I too always loved the person who plays Lady Bracknell-Judi Dench will always be my favorite I think. I loved your awkward moment...if for no other reason to say that it is still me with Spanish, and I took it for...well, years. Have fun!